NEW ORLEANS (AP) – Two sheriff’s deputies were out of critical condition Sunday, while the man accused of shooting them and killing two other people was charged with arson and two counts each of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder, Louisiana State Police said.
Wilbert Thibodeaux, 48, of Charenton (pronounced SHARON-ton), was held without bond in the Iberia Parish jail, said Trooper Stephen Hammons.
He is accused of killing Eddie Lyons, 78, of Charenton and a Chitimacha Tribal Police officer whose name has not been released. Nor have officials released the names of the wounded deputies, both of St. Mary Parish.
Hammons said Lyons’ body was found in a mobile home that had been set on fire Saturday before someone told police that a man carrying a shotgun was walking down a street near the tribe’s 260-acre reservation and less than a quarter-mile from its Cypress Bayou Casino.
The tribal police officer who responded to the report and two deputies who arrived together all were shot. One deputy remained hospitalized in Lafayette, 40 miles northwest of Charenton, and the other in New Orleans, about 100 miles east of Charenton.
Lyons had been shot before his trailer was torched and his burned body was found after the fire was put out, Hammons said.
Hammons said Thibodeaux also was shot, and state police are investigating who shot him. Other responding deputies arrested him without further incident and he was released to state troopers after treatment at a local hospital, Hammons said.
Sheriff Mark Hebert, Chitimacha Police Chief Blaze Smith, District Attorney Phil Haney, Fire Marshal Butch Browning and Louisiana State Police officials scheduled a news conference Monday to release the officers’ names, Hammons said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas