NEW ORLEANS (AP) – Two sheriff’s deputies were out of critical condition Sunday, while the man accused of shooting them and killing two other people was charged with arson and two counts each of first-degree murder and attempted first-degree murder, Louisiana State Police said.
Wilbert Thibodeaux, 48, of Charenton (pronounced SHARON-ton), was held without bond in the Iberia Parish jail, said Trooper Stephen Hammons.
He is accused of killing Eddie Lyons, 78, of Charenton and a Chitimacha Tribal Police officer whose name has not been released. Nor have officials released the names of the wounded deputies, both of St. Mary Parish.
Hammons said Lyons’ body was found in a mobile home that had been set on fire Saturday before someone told police that a man carrying a shotgun was walking down a street near the tribe’s 260-acre reservation and less than a quarter-mile from its Cypress Bayou Casino.
The tribal police officer who responded to the report and two deputies who arrived together all were shot. One deputy remained hospitalized in Lafayette, 40 miles northwest of Charenton, and the other in New Orleans, about 100 miles east of Charenton.
Lyons had been shot before his trailer was torched and his burned body was found after the fire was put out, Hammons said.
Hammons said Thibodeaux also was shot, and state police are investigating who shot him. Other responding deputies arrested him without further incident and he was released to state troopers after treatment at a local hospital, Hammons said.
Sheriff Mark Hebert, Chitimacha Police Chief Blaze Smith, District Attorney Phil Haney, Fire Marshal Butch Browning and Louisiana State Police officials scheduled a news conference Monday to release the officers’ names, Hammons said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon