HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) – A man who helped a priest sell methamphetamine was sentenced Tuesday in federal court to 27 months in prison.
The defense attorney for Kenneth DeVries had sought a reduced sentence of time he’s already spent in jail. He said DeVries, 53, has advanced prostate cancer and full-blown AIDS and was influenced by his drug addiction and respect for the priest.
DeVries, of Waterbury, pleaded guilty in June to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute methamphetamine. He could have faced up to four years in prison under sentencing guidelines.
Prosecutors had said “some accommodation” for DeVries might be appropriate because he had a limited role in the operation run by Monsignor Kevin Wallin, who has been nicknamed Monsignor Meth by media outlets.
DeVries was a neighbor of Wallin’s and sold meth for him when Wallin was unavailable, prosecutors said.
Wallin was the pastor of St. Augustine Parish in Bridgeport for nine years. He resigned in June 2011, citing health and personal reasons. He was suspended from public ministry last year. He pleaded guilty to a drug charge in April and faces 11 to 14 years in prison.
DeVries’ attorney said Wallin took advantage of his client, who was a meth user. DeVries said he looked up to Wallin as a religious leader and as someone who was supposed to help him.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl