HARTFORD, Conn. (AP) – A man who helped a priest sell methamphetamine was sentenced Tuesday in federal court to 27 months in prison.
The defense attorney for Kenneth DeVries had sought a reduced sentence of time he’s already spent in jail. He said DeVries, 53, has advanced prostate cancer and full-blown AIDS and was influenced by his drug addiction and respect for the priest.
DeVries, of Waterbury, pleaded guilty in June to conspiracy to possess with intent to distribute methamphetamine. He could have faced up to four years in prison under sentencing guidelines.
Prosecutors had said “some accommodation” for DeVries might be appropriate because he had a limited role in the operation run by Monsignor Kevin Wallin, who has been nicknamed Monsignor Meth by media outlets.
DeVries was a neighbor of Wallin’s and sold meth for him when Wallin was unavailable, prosecutors said.
Wallin was the pastor of St. Augustine Parish in Bridgeport for nine years. He resigned in June 2011, citing health and personal reasons. He was suspended from public ministry last year. He pleaded guilty to a drug charge in April and faces 11 to 14 years in prison.
DeVries’ attorney said Wallin took advantage of his client, who was a meth user. DeVries said he looked up to Wallin as a religious leader and as someone who was supposed to help him.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon