ALLENTOWN, Pa. (AP) – A utility has agreed to pay a $500,000 fine and speed replacement of its cast-iron pipelines following an eastern Pennsylvania gas explosion that killed five people two years ago.
UGI Utilities Inc. president Robert Beard agreed to the state Public Utility Commission’s order Monday in a letter that expressed “heartfelt sympathies” to the victims.
Easton’s The Express-Times newspaper (
http://bit.ly/VJaAtX) says the order requires the Reading (RED’-ing)-based company to replace all cast-iron pipelines within 14 years and expand testing and monitoring.
The February 2011 blast in Allentown flattened a pair of row houses and set a block of homes afire. It was traced to a crack in a cast-iron main.
Beard says the company is committed to addressing the “many significant operational challenges” facing it and others.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths