LOS ANGELES (AP) – Fire roared through a 90-year-old residential hotel in Los Angeles’ harbor area early Tuesday, injuring 14 people, three of them critically.
People hung out of windows of the Palos Verdes Inn in San Pedro after the fire broke out at about 3:30 a.m., and one woman jumped from a second-story window and may have broken bones, Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott said.
Other residents were threatening to jump, he said.
“Firefighters immediately threw ladders and rescued them from ledges,” Scott said.
Firefighters returning from a nearby medical call saw smoke at the hotel before any 911 call had been received, he said.
It took 150 firefighters 34 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which spread rapidly through the 1923 building. Television news reports showed flames engulfing the interiors of some rooms.
Seven rooms were damaged, two of them extensively, Scott said.
Tiffany Rogers, who is five months pregnant, raced out of the building.
“I couldn’t even see through the smoke. I couldn’t breathe. I was coughing. It was horrible,” she told KABC-TV as she stood in the dark with a blanket draped around her shoulders.
“Right now, I’m really stressed out because I don’t have anywhere to go,” she said.
Fourteen people were hurt and 12 of them were sent to hospitals, including three in critical condition from burns or smoke inhalation, Scott said. The injured included a police officer who was helping residents and suffered smoke inhalation.
Firefighters also gave oxygen to a cat and looked for a missing Chihuahua.
The hotel had fire alarms but it was unclear if it had any sprinklers, Scott said.
Arson investigators were sent to the scene because of the fire’s size and how quickly it spread, he said. The cause of the blaze wasn’t immediately known.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them