LOS ANGELES (AP) – Fire roared through a 90-year-old residential hotel in Los Angeles’ harbor area early Tuesday, injuring 14 people, three of them critically.
People hung out of windows of the Palos Verdes Inn in San Pedro after the fire broke out at about 3:30 a.m., and one woman jumped from a second-story window and may have broken bones, Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott said.
Other residents were threatening to jump, he said.
“Firefighters immediately threw ladders and rescued them from ledges,” Scott said.
Firefighters returning from a nearby medical call saw smoke at the hotel before any 911 call had been received, he said.
It took 150 firefighters 34 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which spread rapidly through the 1923 building. Television news reports showed flames engulfing the interiors of some rooms.
Seven rooms were damaged, two of them extensively, Scott said.
Tiffany Rogers, who is five months pregnant, raced out of the building.
“I couldn’t even see through the smoke. I couldn’t breathe. I was coughing. It was horrible,” she told KABC-TV as she stood in the dark with a blanket draped around her shoulders.
“Right now, I’m really stressed out because I don’t have anywhere to go,” she said.
Fourteen people were hurt and 12 of them were sent to hospitals, including three in critical condition from burns or smoke inhalation, Scott said. The injured included a police officer who was helping residents and suffered smoke inhalation.
Firefighters also gave oxygen to a cat and looked for a missing Chihuahua.
The hotel had fire alarms but it was unclear if it had any sprinklers, Scott said.
Arson investigators were sent to the scene because of the fire’s size and how quickly it spread, he said. The cause of the blaze wasn’t immediately known.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl