LOS ANGELES (AP) – Fire roared through a 90-year-old residential hotel in Los Angeles’ harbor area early Tuesday, injuring 14 people, three of them critically.
People hung out of windows of the Palos Verdes Inn in San Pedro after the fire broke out at about 3:30 a.m., and one woman jumped from a second-story window and may have broken bones, Fire Department spokesman Erik Scott said.
Other residents were threatening to jump, he said.
“Firefighters immediately threw ladders and rescued them from ledges,” Scott said.
Firefighters returning from a nearby medical call saw smoke at the hotel before any 911 call had been received, he said.
It took 150 firefighters 34 minutes to extinguish the blaze, which spread rapidly through the 1923 building. Television news reports showed flames engulfing the interiors of some rooms.
Seven rooms were damaged, two of them extensively, Scott said.
Tiffany Rogers, who is five months pregnant, raced out of the building.
“I couldn’t even see through the smoke. I couldn’t breathe. I was coughing. It was horrible,” she told KABC-TV as she stood in the dark with a blanket draped around her shoulders.
“Right now, I’m really stressed out because I don’t have anywhere to go,” she said.
Fourteen people were hurt and 12 of them were sent to hospitals, including three in critical condition from burns or smoke inhalation, Scott said. The injured included a police officer who was helping residents and suffered smoke inhalation.
Firefighters also gave oxygen to a cat and looked for a missing Chihuahua.
The hotel had fire alarms but it was unclear if it had any sprinklers, Scott said.
Arson investigators were sent to the scene because of the fire’s size and how quickly it spread, he said. The cause of the blaze wasn’t immediately known.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.