BOISE, Idaho (AP) – An Iranian court has rejected an appeal by an American pastor to reduce his eight-year prison sentence, a human-rights group representing his family in the U.S. said Monday.
The decision by a two-judge panel on the Tehran Court of Appeals came Sunday, but the panel refused to provide Saeed Abedini’s lawyer with a copy of the ruling, the Idaho Statesman reported.
Abedini is of Iranian origin and has lived in Boise with his family since 2006. He has been jailed in Iran since September on charges that he attempted to undermine state security by creating a network of Christian churches in private homes.
He was tried and sentenced in January.
Saeed has rejected the charges against him. He was in Iran doing humanitarian work when he was arrested.
The Iranian court’s decision was announced by the American Center for Law and Justice, which focuses on constitutional and human-rights law around the world. The center is representing the pastor’s wife and two children, who still reside in Boise.
The family will continue to fight for her husband’s release, Abedini’s wife, Naghmeh, said in a statement released by the center.
“In the coming days, our family will be consulting with legal counsel in Iran to determine the next course of action,” the statement said. “The family could appeal the case to the Supreme Court in Tehran or plead for the Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Khamenei, to intervene and pardon Pastor Saeed. From past cases, we know that the decision to release my husband lies solely at the mercy of the Supreme Leader.”
She also criticized the U.S. government and President Barack Obama, who she said has been silent about her husband’s plight.
Jordan Sekulow, executive director of the human-rights group, said he is concerned about Saeed Abedini’s safety in prison, and he hopes to bring more pressure on Iran to release the pastor.
Information from: Idaho Statesman,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon