A flight headed to Phoenix reportedly had to return to Houston due to the record-breaking heat according to ABC 13 in Houston.
The United flight operated by Mesa Airlines was reportedly minutes away from Sky Harbor Airport before being sent back.
ABC 13 had a statement from the company on the flight.
“United Express flight 6181 operated by Mesa Airlines, returned to Houston due to weather in Phoenix. Phoenix passengers will be accommodated on an extra flight that has been added for tomorrow morning.”
On Sunday, a new record high temperature was set in Phoenix at 118 degrees.
The National Weather Service has issued an excessive heat warning Sunday through Wednesday with highs projected around 118 on Sunday and Monday.
- Get ready for dogs – Phoenix is No. 6 city for pet-friendly vacation spots
- Part of Interstate 10, 17 to be closed during June 22 weekend
- Hawaii-bound American Airlines flight forced back to Phoenix
- Phoenix needs more bottled water to help battle summer heat
- Phoenix City Council votes to look at other designs for light-rail expansion