HELENA, Mont. (AP) – The lawyer for a Montana family accused of cramming $70 million in bogus charges on phone bills nationwide says his clients followed industry standards.
The Federal Trade Commission accuses Steven Sann, his wife, son and accountant of running companies that added the unauthorized charges to customers’ phone bills since 2008.
The commission is asking a judge to force the Sanns to stop operating and to freeze their assets.
The Sanns’ attorney, Andrew B. Lustigman said in a statement Tuesday the companies’ services were sold in a long-accepted and responsible fashion. He says customers were given repeated opportunities to accept or reject the services.
The FTC complaint alleges Steven Sann used some of the money to buy land and pay for his legal bills in a separate medical marijuana case.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees