TUCSON, Ariz. (AP) – Authorities say a drug trafficking suspect is in jail in Arizona following his arrest in Mexico.
The Pima County Sheriff’s Department said late Friday that Alejandro Ortiz-Guerena was arrested in Hermosillo, Mexico, and turned over to authorities in Arizona.
The office says the 29-year-old Ortiz-Guerena is the suspected leader of a ring involved in drug trafficking and money laundering.
The U.S. Marshals Service says Ortiz-Guerena is a U.S. citizen who fled to Mexico.
He is being held in Pima County Detention Center on charges that include conspiracy to sell marijuana and money laundering.
The sheriff’s office says the investigation into Ortiz-Guerena’s activities dates to 2009. Three of his family members were arrested on similar charges two years ago.
It was not immediately clear whether he had an attorney.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona