NEWTOWN, Conn. (AP) – A Connecticut company says it has nearly finished installing state-of-the-art security equipment at a school to which students moved after the deadly Newtown elementary school shooting.
Thomas Marino Jr.’s father owns Advanced Security Technologies in Stratford. He says he reached out to manufacturers after the Dec. 14 Newtown massacre to ask whether they’d donate equipment if his father’s company contributed the labor to install it at the school in Monroe.
He said Friday he’s collected hundreds of thousands of dollars’ worth of equipment. It’s enough to outfit the Monroe school with technology ranging from an intrusion detection system to a panic alarm and equip Newtown’s five other schools.
The Newtown Board of Education voted Thursday to accept 30 cameras, the final step at the Monroe school.
Twenty first-graders and six school administrators died in the Newtown massacre.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon