HAMILTON, Ohio (AP) – Charmin is providing some toilet paper relief on behalf of one of Ohio’s newest million-dollar lottery winners.
Regina Jackson has vivid memories of the aid received from Reach Out Lakota when she was out of work for seven months in 2008. The nonprofit organization provides food, clothing and other necessities to the needy in Butler County in southwest Ohio.
After winning $1 million in a New Year’s Raffle by the Ohio Lottery, she said she’d like to donate a truckload of toilet paper, or at least enough cash for one, to Reach Out Lakota. Jackson, age 60, recalled that she and her 81-year-old mother had to ration the two rolls they got each month while she was laid off.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports (
http://cin.ci/WdfHAg) that Procter & Gamble Co. executives saw her comments.
“When we heard about Regina, we were just inspired to give back,” said Charmin spokeswoman Laura Dressman.
The Cincinnati-based consumer products company will donate 5,000 rolls of Charmin, with a retail value of more than $4,000, in Jackson’s name.
Reach Out Lakota gave out 5,500 rolls last year. The donation means Jackson’s own $5,000 donation will go to food and clothing instead.
“I couldn’t wish for anything better,” Jackson said.
Reach Out Lakota says it helped 2,445 needy families last year. Jackson recalled being reluctant to ask for aid, but found it was a major help until she got called back to her customer service job.
“In the beginning, I didn’t want to come, but it ended up being a godsend because it took a lot of weight off my shoulders,” she said. After winning the lottery _ which will net her a lump sum of $710,000 after taxes _ she immediately thought about giving back.
Jackson also plans donations to a church that helped out and also to animal protection groups.
Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them