HAMILTON, Ohio (AP) – Charmin is providing some toilet paper relief on behalf of one of Ohio’s newest million-dollar lottery winners.
Regina Jackson has vivid memories of the aid received from Reach Out Lakota when she was out of work for seven months in 2008. The nonprofit organization provides food, clothing and other necessities to the needy in Butler County in southwest Ohio.
After winning $1 million in a New Year’s Raffle by the Ohio Lottery, she said she’d like to donate a truckload of toilet paper, or at least enough cash for one, to Reach Out Lakota. Jackson, age 60, recalled that she and her 81-year-old mother had to ration the two rolls they got each month while she was laid off.
The Cincinnati Enquirer reports (
http://cin.ci/WdfHAg) that Procter & Gamble Co. executives saw her comments.
“When we heard about Regina, we were just inspired to give back,” said Charmin spokeswoman Laura Dressman.
The Cincinnati-based consumer products company will donate 5,000 rolls of Charmin, with a retail value of more than $4,000, in Jackson’s name.
Reach Out Lakota gave out 5,500 rolls last year. The donation means Jackson’s own $5,000 donation will go to food and clothing instead.
“I couldn’t wish for anything better,” Jackson said.
Reach Out Lakota says it helped 2,445 needy families last year. Jackson recalled being reluctant to ask for aid, but found it was a major help until she got called back to her customer service job.
“In the beginning, I didn’t want to come, but it ended up being a godsend because it took a lot of weight off my shoulders,” she said. After winning the lottery _ which will net her a lump sum of $710,000 after taxes _ she immediately thought about giving back.
Jackson also plans donations to a church that helped out and also to animal protection groups.
Information from: The Cincinnati Enquirer,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.