TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) – The mother of Trayvon Martin and Democratic lawmakers are calling for the repeal of Florida’s so-called “stand your ground” law but it’s unlikely to go anywhere in the state’s Legislature.
Sybrina Fulton joined state Rep. Alan Williams and state Sen. Dwight Bullard on Wednesday in calling for repeal. Fulton’s unarmed 17-year-old son was fatally shot by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman last year.
Zimmerman is charged with second-degree murder but claims he acted in self-defense under the law, which says people can use deadly force if they feel threatened.
Williams has filed a bill to repeal it, but it’s likely to face opposition from Republicans who control the Legislature. A panel created by Republican Gov. Rick Scott to examine the law has recommended no major changes.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.