WASHINGTON (AP) – The Smithsonian Institution announced plans Wednesday to create an innovation pavilion with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office in one of the oldest buildings on the National Mall.
The 132-year-old Arts and Industries Building has been closed since 2004 due to structural problems and has been undergoing repairs.
Smithsonian Secretary Wayne Clough says the building will celebrate American ingenuity as it did with its first major exhibition of inventions in the 1880s. The building was first used in 1881 for President James Garfield’s inaugural ball.
The building will be reopened in 2014 with patent office funding to begin housing exhibits and interactive programs for seven years. The patent office will provide up to $7.5 million, Smithsonian spokeswoman Linda St. Thomas said.
In recent years, Smithsonian curators have worked with the patent office to develop exhibits about the history of American innovation.
Initially, the patent office is contributing $1 million to fund an Innovation Expo in June 2013 at the agency’s headquarters in Alexandria, Va. Future expos will then be held on the National Mall each year. The initial funding also will cover design and planning for the new pavilion.
The building’s interior will be left unfinished. Plans for the innovation pavilion are temporary because a proposed National Museum of the American Latino could later be located there. The Smithsonian also considered creating a high-tech education center with theaters and exhibits.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them