DETROIT (AP) – A man accused of stealing his father’s body from a Detroit cemetery with the hope of bringing him back to life was charged Friday and ordered held on a $75,000 bond.
Vincent Bright, 48, whom police say was keeping his father’s body in the basement freezer of his home, was charged with disinterment of a body. He was arraigned by video from the Wayne County Jail.
“It’s an unusual case, it’s not something you see every day,” Gerald Karafa, Bright’s court-appointed lawyer, told the Detroit Free Press. Karafa said he had not spoken with his client.
The crime is punishable by up to 10 years in prison.
Clarence Bright’s body disappeared from a cemetery on Monday morning, just hours before it was to be buried. Police arrested Bright and another man the next day after finding them with an empty casket in the back of their van.
Officers, acting on a tip from other family members, found the corpse in Vincent Bright’s home on the city’s east side.
Police Lt. Harold Rochon told The Detroit News that the son was religious and took the body hoping for it to be miraculously resurrected. Clarence Bright was 93 years old when he died.
Authorities say no charges have been brought against the other man because there was insufficient evidence.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon