(AP) – General Motors is trying to find more buyers for the Chevrolet Volt’s electric technology. So it’s putting it inside a new Cadillac.
The company on Tuesday introduced the Cadillac ELR, which has the same battery and gas-powered generator as the Chevy version.
GM promises that the car will have an aerodynamic, forward-leaning design and an all-new interior that sets the tone for future Cadillacs.
Production starts late this year, and the car will hit showrooms early in 2014 in North America. GM promises to produce a limited number to make the car unique on the roads, although it wouldn’t say how many. The car also will be exported to China and Europe:
UNDER THE HOOD: The ELR has a 5.5-foot-long, 435-pound T-shaped battery that can take the car about 35 miles on electricity. A 1.4-Liter onboard gasoline generator kicks in after the battery runs down, so owners don’t have to worry about getting stranded when the juice runs out. The system has the equivalent of a gasoline engine’s 207 horsepower. Just like the Volt, GM is putting an 8-year warranty on the battery. The generator runs on premium gas.
HOW IT ROLLS: The ELR will have 20-inch wheels pushed to the edge of the body, with tires designed For performance and fuel-efficient low-rolling-resistance.
BRAKES: Like the Volt, designed to use braking energy to help recharge the battery, especially in city driving.
FUEL ECONOMY: Not released, but the Volt gets an estimated 98 miles per gallon if it ran on gasoline alone.
PRICE: Not released. Volt starts at $31,645 including a $7,500 federal tax credit. It also can be leased for under $300 per month.
WHERE IT’S MADE: Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon