(AP) – General Motors is trying to find more buyers for the Chevrolet Volt’s electric technology. So it’s putting it inside a new Cadillac.
The company on Tuesday introduced the Cadillac ELR, which has the same battery and gas-powered generator as the Chevy version.
GM promises that the car will have an aerodynamic, forward-leaning design and an all-new interior that sets the tone for future Cadillacs.
Production starts late this year, and the car will hit showrooms early in 2014 in North America. GM promises to produce a limited number to make the car unique on the roads, although it wouldn’t say how many. The car also will be exported to China and Europe:
UNDER THE HOOD: The ELR has a 5.5-foot-long, 435-pound T-shaped battery that can take the car about 35 miles on electricity. A 1.4-Liter onboard gasoline generator kicks in after the battery runs down, so owners don’t have to worry about getting stranded when the juice runs out. The system has the equivalent of a gasoline engine’s 207 horsepower. Just like the Volt, GM is putting an 8-year warranty on the battery. The generator runs on premium gas.
HOW IT ROLLS: The ELR will have 20-inch wheels pushed to the edge of the body, with tires designed For performance and fuel-efficient low-rolling-resistance.
BRAKES: Like the Volt, designed to use braking energy to help recharge the battery, especially in city driving.
FUEL ECONOMY: Not released, but the Volt gets an estimated 98 miles per gallon if it ran on gasoline alone.
PRICE: Not released. Volt starts at $31,645 including a $7,500 federal tax credit. It also can be leased for under $300 per month.
WHERE IT’S MADE: Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly plant.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas