SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – A San Francisco lawmaker said Tuesday that he has abandoned a proposal to rename San Francisco International Airport after slain gay rights leader Harvey Milk and instead plans to pursue getting an airport terminal named in Milk’s honor.
Supervisor David Campos said he gave up on the idea of putting a question on the city ballot asking voters to approve the name change after the plan generated a fair amount of opposition, including from the city’s daily newspaper and Mayor Edwin Lee.
Some fellow politicians, business leaders and members of the public wanted the airport renamed after someone else or no one at all, Campos said.
Campos now plans to introduce an ordinance establishing a committee that would recommend which of San Francisco International’s four passenger terminals should be named for Milk.
The committee, to be appointed by the mayor and the San Francisco Board of Supervisors, will have three months to come back with its recommendation. It also will be asked to suggest other airport structures that could be named in honor of other prominent San Franciscans.
“We wanted to do it in a way that was a unifying thing as opposed to having a political fight,” Campos said of the compromise. “And we believe that is the best way to honor Harvey.”
Milk’s nephew, Stuart Milk, who travels the world talking about gay rights as the head of a foundation named for his late uncle, said he thinks the airport’s international terminal would be the most meaningful choice. Harvey Milk already is recognized abroad, with a gay community center named for him in Italy and a gay rights celebration observed in his honor in Chile.
“We have work to do in the U.S., don’t get me wrong, but where Harvey was 35 years ago is where so much of the world is today, so I think that is what resonates the most,” Stuart Milk said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl