SALT LAKE CITY (AP) – A book about a lesbian couple raising children has returned to a Utah school district’s library shelves, amid a lawsuit from the American Civil Liberties Union.
Officials with the ACLU of Utah say they were informed of the district’s decision Monday, two months after the suit was filed.
The Davis School District had put the picture book “In Our Mothers’ House” behind the library counter and required elementary schoolchildren to have a parent’s permission to check it out. District officials cited state law, which prohibits advocacy of homosexuality in its curriculum.
The ACLU argued the library book wasn’t instructional material and didn’t constitute advocacy of homosexuality.
District spokesman Chris Williams says parents who don’t want their child checking out a certain book can still inform the librarian of that preference.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development