RIVERTON, Wyo. (AP) – Wyoming will be represented at the presidential inaugural parade thanks to a last-minute effort by Wind River Indian Reservation residents.
A group of 13 dancers and others plan to fly to Washington, D.C., on Saturday even though organizers are still about $6,000 short of their scaled-down fundraising goal. Northern Arapaho tribal liaison Gary Collins said he’s buying one-way tickets to stretch the money at the outset and hoping more comes in.
Originally, he wanted to raise $35,000 to send a bigger group. He said he only had two weeks to raise money after the Presidential Inaugural Committee asked for help making sure one of the most conservative states was represented in the parade.
Committee spokeswoman Aoife McCarthy confirmed that the group would be the only one representing Wyoming. She said having marchers that represent the nation’s spirit, values and diversity is a priority for the group.
Collins said all the money was raised privately, including some money from a benefactor working with the committee. The state, which has required its agencies to cut their budgets because of reduced tax revenue, wasn’t able to provide any money in such a short amount of time.
Collins said he decided to move ahead with the trip anyway because most members of the group have never been to Washington before and some have never been far from the reservation or Wyoming. He said they’ll be able to share their experience with other members of the tribes when they return home.
“I want to seize the window of opportunity,” he said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work