UPPER MARLBORO, Md. (AP) – A Maryland jury has convicted a District of Columbia police officer of killing his mistress and leaving their baby daughter to die in hot car.
The Prince George’s County jury returned the verdict Thursday evening against Richmond Phillips on two counts of first-degree murder.
Phillips was arrested in June 2011 after police found the body of 20-year-old Wynetta Wright in the Oxon Run Stream Valley Park. Her 1-year-old daughter, Jaylin, was found dead nearby in a car seat in Wright’s car. Police say the girl may have died as a result of exposure to the heat. Court records show Phillips and Wright were involved in a paternity dispute.
Prosecutors say Phillips faces life without the possibility of parole plus 20 years at sentencing March 22.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food