MANHASSET, N.Y. (AP) – Vincent R. Sombrotto, a labor leader who served as president of the National Association of Letter Carriers for 24 years, has died. He was 89.
The NALC announced on its website that Sombrotto died Thursday. Fairchild Sons Funeral Home in Manhasset, which is handling the arrangements, confirmed his death to The Associated Press on Sunday.
Sombrotto joined the then-Post Office Department in 1947 as a part-time carrier. As a letter carrier at New York’s Grand Central Station, he took charge of the 1970 postal strike to protest poor working conditions and wages so low that some carriers qualified for welfare. President Richard Nixon called in 25,000 troops to deliver the mail in the city after the carriers went on strike.
The walkout eventually spread to 100 cities and involved more than 200,000 postal workers. It led to the creation of the United States Postal Service.
In 1978, Sombrotto was elected as the NALC’s 16th president, a position he held leading the union’s 300,000 members until his retirement in 2002.
He played a key role in helping to reform the Hatch Act, a law that prohibited partisan political activities by federal employees.
“Vince’s long tenure and tireless work for this union, at both the local and national levels, has left a lasting, positive impact on all the men and women who have carried the mail since the Great Postal Strike, and on those who will do so in the decades yet to come,” NALC President Fredric V. Rolando said.
He is survived by his wife, Rae, seven children and 14 grandchildren. A funeral Mass is planned for Monday morning in Port Washington.
Donations can be made to the National Kidney Foundation.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered