UNITED NATIONS (AP) – U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon has raised the possibility of getting additional troops into the Central African Republic, which is engulfed in sectarian violence between Muslims and Christians.
U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said Ban discussed “the deeply troubling situation” in the impoverished, lawless country with French Foreign Minister Laurent Fabius on Monday night.
Ban asked Fabius what could be done to increase support for African peacekeepers and to accelerate the deployment of European Union troops, “and whether additional troops might be envisaged,” Nesirky said.
The secretary-general reiterated the international community’s “collective responsibility” to the people of the Central African Republic and stressed “that the international response must be robust enough to stop the violence and prevent what has a high potential to result in additional widespread atrocities,” Nesirky said.
(Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food