NEW YORK (AP) – More than 1 million historical artifacts and documents from the Ellis Island Immigration Museum have been moved to storage facilities while damage to the island from Superstorm Sandy is repaired.
The museum sits on an island next to the Statue of Liberty in the center of New York Harbor. It’s closed due to severe damage to its infrastructure. The statue also is closed.
The collection was unharmed by the late October storm. But museum superintendent Dave Luchsinger says it’s impossible to maintain the climate-controlled environment needed to protect the artifacts because there’s no power.
Most of the items were moved in recent weeks to the federal Museum Resources Center in Landover, Md. The Mudder Museum collection from Ellis Island’s Ferry Building previously was moved to the Harpers Ferry conservation center in West Virginia.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.