LOS ANGELES (AP) – Five people were arrested for a brutal takeover holdup of a clothing store during which 14 employees were held hostage, including one who was stabbed and another who was sexually assaulted, police announced Monday.
Three Los Angeles men are believed to be the gunmen who robbed the Nordstrom Rack store at a mall near the Los Angeles International Airport last week while two women were suspected of helping them after the robbery, Police Chief Charlie Beck said at a news conference.
Twenty detectives worked on the case around the clock and all five suspects were identified and arrested by Saturday evening, Beck said.
It was not immediately clear whether any of them had obtained attorneys. Beck said investigators planned to send their reports Monday to county prosecutors who will determine whether to file criminal charges.
Officers were sent to the second-floor shop at late Thursday night after a 911 caller said his girlfriend had reported that gunmen were in the store.
Police officers and SWAT team members rushed to the Promenade at Howard Hughes Center, an outdoor shopping center that also has restaurants and a theater.
They entered to store early Friday and found most of the employees in a storage room, although some were hiding elsewhere, said Capt. William Hayes, head of the LAPD’s Robbery-Homicide Division.
A woman employee was stabbed in the neck, another was sexually assaulted and others were pushed or manhandled during the hours-long ordeal, police said.
The robbers got away but with very little money.
“This was a huge location with multiple exits. It was very difficult for responding officers to cover all of them,” Beck said.
The getaway car, a sport utility vehicle, was found abandoned a few miles away.
Beck praised the calm of the employees, 13 women and one man who are in their 20s to 40s, as they faced three men armed with handguns.
“The detectives have universally commented on how composed they were and how brave they were,” he said.
The chief said detectives watched surveillance videos, interviewed witnesses and collected evidence. Four arrests were made Friday and Saturday in Los Angeles, according to the Los Angeles County sheriff’s website.
Troy Marsay Hammock, 29, of Los Angeles, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and was being held without bail for allegedly violating parole, Beck said.
Everett Oneal Allen, 24, of Los Angeles, was arrested on suspicion of robbery and was held on more than $1 million bail.
Rochelle Monique Sherman, 33, and Paula Roneshia Bradley, 29, both of Los Angeles, were arrested on suspicion of being accessories after the fact and remained jailed on $100,000 bail each.
Raymond Sherman Jr., 34, of Los Angeles, was arrested in Phoenix, Ariz., on suspicion of robbery and was held without bail.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon