NEW YORK (AP) – A man is in custody on suspicion of intentionally starting a fatal five-alarm fire Thursday in a New York City apartment building as part of a domestic dispute with his child’s mother, authorities said.
Charges are pending against the unidentified 45-year-old suspect, who lived in the now fire-gutted five-story building at 41 Spring St. in the fashionable Soho district of Manhattan, according to police spokesman Paul Browne.
Witnesses saw the suspect start the fire in a second floor hallway at about 6:40 p.m. after a domestic dispute with the woman, Browne said. He said the woman and the child are accounted for.
One person was killed in the fire. Browne said the unidentified victim was apparently not part of the dispute and was found on the third floor fire escape burned beyond recognition.
An off-duty firefighter from Los Angeles, who was dining in the area, spotted the flames and ran over to the building where he was confronted by the suspect who wouldn’t let him into the building, Browne said.
The suspect also fought with a police officer and New York City firefighters who were trying to enter the building. The suspect was treated at a hospital for bruises and a police officer was treated for a broken hand, Browne said.
About 200 firefighters responded to the blaze, which quickly spread to the upper floors and through the roof, according to FDNY Chief of Operations James Esposito.
Esposito said firefighters had to use the rear fire escape and portable ladders because the heavy fire had burned away the stairways.
“We had an extraordinary amount of fire,” said Esposito. “The fire encompassed all the walls and all the floors.”
Esposito said the fire completely gutted the inside of the building and at least nine people, including seven firefighters, suffered minor injuries. It was declared under control at 9:20 p.m.
“It’s essentially destroyed and it’s not going to be livable for quite some time,” Esposito said of the building.
A neighbor who lives two buildings down from the fire, Juliet Gentile, 35, said she was home and smelled smoke. She said she went up to her roof and saw the flames.
“As soon as I saw that I got to get out of here,” said Gentile. “It was coming right out. The whole thing was in flames.”
The American Red Cross said early Friday that it was providing housing for at least two families and would be meeting with several others later in the day to determine their needs.
Associated Press writers Tom McElroy and Tom Hays contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Skin Cancer in Arizona: Stats, facts and new immunotherapy drugs making strides
- Caring Crisis: Rising tide In Alzheimer’s disease leads to shortage of caregivers
- Distracted walking injuries end up not so funny
- Scary situations: 5 quick tips before you let a contractor in your home
- Four ways telemedicine is changing the health care industry
- 5 mistakes homeowners make in the spring
- Three rivers run through it: Exploring Arizona's waterways
- Smart home basics: things you need to know to get started
- 5 Surprising things causing back pain
- Arizona agriculture is a $17.1B industry
- Timeline: Arizona's roots in brewing history
- 5 reasons to love the D-backs this season
- Tips for taking your home entertainment experience to the backyard
- Tech-related injuries your parents never experienced
- Workers comp: Signs your co-worker could be a fraud
- Who's the real founder of America's pastime?
- Epidemic rising? What you need to know about Alzheimer's in Arizona
- 5 unforgettable Wooden Award winners
- Family and hard work are keys to success of modern dairy farmers
- Genetic testing could hold answers for colon cancer survival
- Cold beers and baseball: A beer lover's guide to Spring Training
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain