(AP) – Highlights of the California budget plan Gov. Jerry Brown released Thursday:
1. BUDGET DEFICIT GONE
Brown’s $97.6 billion general fund budget for the next fiscal year eliminates the massive shortfalls of the past few years and instead includes an $850 million surplus.
2. WHY THERE IS MORE MONEY
Brown has pushed austerity and forced cuts throughout state government. Also, California voters approved the governor’s November ballot initiative to increase the state sales tax for four years and income taxes on those making more than $250,000 a year for seven years, generating $6 billion in additional tax revenue.
3. HOW IS THE MONEY BEING SPENT
K-12 schools will receive $2.7 billion more and now account for nearly 60 percent of all general fund spending. The University of California and California State University systems each will receive $250 million.
4. BIG IDEAS
Brown wants to redistribute some education money so school districts in poorer communities and those with high levels of English-learner students receive proportionally more than districts in wealthier communities. Brown says such a shift is needed because of growing inequality between rich and poor.
5. BUDGET THREATS
The governor listed a number of factors that could undermine his budget plan, including uncertain action by Congress to raise the federal debt ceiling, potential increases in health care costs and whether courts or the federal government block some of his proposed spending cuts.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development