(AP) – Highlights of the California budget plan Gov. Jerry Brown released Thursday:
1. BUDGET DEFICIT GONE
Brown’s $97.6 billion general fund budget for the next fiscal year eliminates the massive shortfalls of the past few years and instead includes an $850 million surplus.
2. WHY THERE IS MORE MONEY
Brown has pushed austerity and forced cuts throughout state government. Also, California voters approved the governor’s November ballot initiative to increase the state sales tax for four years and income taxes on those making more than $250,000 a year for seven years, generating $6 billion in additional tax revenue.
3. HOW IS THE MONEY BEING SPENT
K-12 schools will receive $2.7 billion more and now account for nearly 60 percent of all general fund spending. The University of California and California State University systems each will receive $250 million.
4. BIG IDEAS
Brown wants to redistribute some education money so school districts in poorer communities and those with high levels of English-learner students receive proportionally more than districts in wealthier communities. Brown says such a shift is needed because of growing inequality between rich and poor.
5. BUDGET THREATS
The governor listed a number of factors that could undermine his budget plan, including uncertain action by Congress to raise the federal debt ceiling, potential increases in health care costs and whether courts or the federal government block some of his proposed spending cuts.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.