(AP) – Highlights of the California budget plan Gov. Jerry Brown released Thursday:
1. BUDGET DEFICIT GONE
Brown’s $97.6 billion general fund budget for the next fiscal year eliminates the massive shortfalls of the past few years and instead includes an $850 million surplus.
2. WHY THERE IS MORE MONEY
Brown has pushed austerity and forced cuts throughout state government. Also, California voters approved the governor’s November ballot initiative to increase the state sales tax for four years and income taxes on those making more than $250,000 a year for seven years, generating $6 billion in additional tax revenue.
3. HOW IS THE MONEY BEING SPENT
K-12 schools will receive $2.7 billion more and now account for nearly 60 percent of all general fund spending. The University of California and California State University systems each will receive $250 million.
4. BIG IDEAS
Brown wants to redistribute some education money so school districts in poorer communities and those with high levels of English-learner students receive proportionally more than districts in wealthier communities. Brown says such a shift is needed because of growing inequality between rich and poor.
5. BUDGET THREATS
The governor listed a number of factors that could undermine his budget plan, including uncertain action by Congress to raise the federal debt ceiling, potential increases in health care costs and whether courts or the federal government block some of his proposed spending cuts.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy