BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (AP) – A 16-year-old boy accused of shooting a classmate at a California high school wrote a story posted online about a bullied student who kills his former tormentors as an adult.
Investigators found the piece written by 16-year-old Bryan Oliver that describes the killing of several people by torture and other morbid means, according to the Bakersfield Californian (
Oliver has been charged as an adult in a shooting at Taft Union High School in January that left two people injured. He pleaded not guilty to two counts of premeditated attempted murder and three counts of assault with a firearm.
Friends of Oliver said he was teased by his classmates for his red hair and social awkwardness. Students and parents have said that Oliver was suspended briefly last year after he made a hit list, the newspaper said.
The story was posted online last summer and features a character who is tormented by his peers. Bullies douse the character with a bucket of goat’s blood at graduation and years later he kills the student who tipped the bucket, according to the newspaper.
The story goes on to show how the character killed his persecutors in ways that echo their past harassment.
The family of the classmate who was injured in the school shooting has filed a claim against the school district, claiming administrators should have known or knew that Oliver was dangerous.
Oliver’s next court hearing is scheduled for May.
Information from: The Bakersfield Californian,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck