BAKERSFIELD, Calif. (AP) – A 16-year-old boy accused of shooting a classmate at a California high school wrote a story posted online about a bullied student who kills his former tormentors as an adult.
Investigators found the piece written by 16-year-old Bryan Oliver that describes the killing of several people by torture and other morbid means, according to the Bakersfield Californian (
Oliver has been charged as an adult in a shooting at Taft Union High School in January that left two people injured. He pleaded not guilty to two counts of premeditated attempted murder and three counts of assault with a firearm.
Friends of Oliver said he was teased by his classmates for his red hair and social awkwardness. Students and parents have said that Oliver was suspended briefly last year after he made a hit list, the newspaper said.
The story was posted online last summer and features a character who is tormented by his peers. Bullies douse the character with a bucket of goat’s blood at graduation and years later he kills the student who tipped the bucket, according to the newspaper.
The story goes on to show how the character killed his persecutors in ways that echo their past harassment.
The family of the classmate who was injured in the school shooting has filed a claim against the school district, claiming administrators should have known or knew that Oliver was dangerous.
Oliver’s next court hearing is scheduled for May.
Information from: The Bakersfield Californian,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets