TRENTON, N.J. (AP) – New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie said Wednesday that he’s willing to have a conversation about stricter gun laws, but says policymakers also must address the mental health system, improve access to drug treatment and look at the impact of violent video games.
Christie made the comments on NBC’s “Today” show, one of five national television appearances he was making Wednesday morning, one day after his annual State of the State address.
“If all we talk about is just controlling guns we’re not doing enough,” he said on “CBS This Morning. “We need to talk about mental illness … and substance abuse.”
The Republican is also on the cover of this week’s edition of Time magazine.
Christie, who is seeking re-election this year, has had a high profile in the political world for a few years, but it’s risen more since Superstorm Sandy crashed into New Jersey last October.
The blunt speaker made waves last week when he held a news conference to bash John Boehner, the Republican Speaker of the U.S. House, for delaying a vote on aid for Sandy recovery. Days after the stinging criticism, Boehner held a vote for one piece _ nearly $10 billion for the national flood insurance program. That was adopted, and Boehner says a vote for more than $50 billion more will come next week.
Christie’s speech, along with his praise last year for President Barack Obama’s handling of the storm, has cast him as someone willing to criticize his own party.
He said on the TV shows that he would continue to do so if he thinks Republicans are putting politics above the Sandy recovery.
“We’ve lost two national elections in a row,” he said on NBC. “We need to be thinking about doing something different.”
Christie, who chose not to run for president last year, said _ as he previously has _ that he would be “more prepared” in 2016 but that he has not decided whether to run.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again