TOLEDO, Ohio (AP) – An art museum in Ohio is handing over an ancient water jug to the Italian government after investigators determined that it was likely illegally dug up from that country years ago.
Toledo Museum of Art officials on Tuesday officially turned over the 2,500-year-old water jug that the museum bought 30 years ago from antiquities dealers out of Switzerland.
Authorities believe the artifact was probably illegally excavated in Italy, smuggled to Switzerland and given a forged record of ownership.
U.S. Immigration and Customs investigators say it was part of a larger scheme by the art dealers to sell items obtained illegally.
The museum agreed in June to give back the 20-inch-tall vessel following a federal investigation that began in 2010.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development