LOS ANGELES (AP) – A man suspected of killing three women in Los Angeles in the late 1980s has been arrested after detectives found DNA evidence linking him to the slayings, police said Monday.
Samuel Little, 72, was arrested in Louisville, Ky., in September by U.S. Marshal officers on an unrelated narcotics warrant while investigators built their case. He later waived extradition and was brought to Los Angeles, where he was charged Monday with three murder counts and the special circumstance allegation of multiple murders.
Investigators said the crimes were sexually motivated strangulations. Court papers said the victims were Carol Alford, 41, Audrey Nelson, 35, and Guadalupe Apadaca, 46, whose bodies were found south of downtown.
Little was being held without bail. It’s not immediately known whether he has an attorney
Detectives described Little as a transient who has had contact with police in 24 states. They said most of his arrests were for drunken driving and burglary, but they believed he also committed more violent crimes directed at those with “high-risk lifestyles,” such as prostitutes and substance abusers.
“He’s a career criminal, like a wandering criminal that goes from place to place committing crimes,” Detective Mitzi Roberts said.
Little was accused of two murders and two attempted murders in Gainesville, Fla., and Pascagoula, Miss., in the early 1980s, where he was identified then as Samuel McDowell. He avoided conviction in those cases and came to California, where he lived in the mid- to late 1980s in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas.
Little served more than two years in state prison after being convicted of assault and the false imprisonment of two San Diego women in separate cases. Detectives believe he killed the three women in Los Angeles shortly after being paroled.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas