LOS ANGELES (AP) – A man suspected of killing three women in Los Angeles in the late 1980s has been arrested after detectives found DNA evidence linking him to the slayings, police said Monday.
Samuel Little, 72, was arrested in Louisville, Ky., in September by U.S. Marshal officers on an unrelated narcotics warrant while investigators built their case. He later waived extradition and was brought to Los Angeles, where he was charged Monday with three murder counts and the special circumstance allegation of multiple murders.
Investigators said the crimes were sexually motivated strangulations. Court papers said the victims were Carol Alford, 41, Audrey Nelson, 35, and Guadalupe Apadaca, 46, whose bodies were found south of downtown.
Little was being held without bail. It’s not immediately known whether he has an attorney
Detectives described Little as a transient who has had contact with police in 24 states. They said most of his arrests were for drunken driving and burglary, but they believed he also committed more violent crimes directed at those with “high-risk lifestyles,” such as prostitutes and substance abusers.
“He’s a career criminal, like a wandering criminal that goes from place to place committing crimes,” Detective Mitzi Roberts said.
Little was accused of two murders and two attempted murders in Gainesville, Fla., and Pascagoula, Miss., in the early 1980s, where he was identified then as Samuel McDowell. He avoided conviction in those cases and came to California, where he lived in the mid- to late 1980s in the Los Angeles and San Diego areas.
Little served more than two years in state prison after being convicted of assault and the false imprisonment of two San Diego women in separate cases. Detectives believe he killed the three women in Los Angeles shortly after being paroled.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy