LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) – A veteran New Mexico tree trimmer is hospitalized in critical condition after being shocked by a power line _ six months after he was hospitalized because of a bee attack.
Authorities say 52-year-old Craig Benavidez of Las Cruces was trimming a pine tree Monday when he was shocked by a 13,000-volt power line.
Benavidez had scaled the tree and was secured by a climbing harness about 30 feet above the ground.
A technical rescue team with the city’s fire department was able to lower him from the tree after the power was cut. Benavidez was taken to an El Paso, Texas, hospital.
The Las Cruces Sun-News reports Benavidez has been an arborist for more than 30 years.
In July, he was trimming a cottonwood tree in downtown Las Cruces when he was stung numerous times by what were later determined to be Africanized bees.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths