LAS CRUCES, N.M. (AP) – A veteran New Mexico tree trimmer is hospitalized in critical condition after being shocked by a power line _ six months after he was hospitalized because of a bee attack.
Authorities say 52-year-old Craig Benavidez of Las Cruces was trimming a pine tree Monday when he was shocked by a 13,000-volt power line.
Benavidez had scaled the tree and was secured by a climbing harness about 30 feet above the ground.
A technical rescue team with the city’s fire department was able to lower him from the tree after the power was cut. Benavidez was taken to an El Paso, Texas, hospital.
The Las Cruces Sun-News reports Benavidez has been an arborist for more than 30 years.
In July, he was trimming a cottonwood tree in downtown Las Cruces when he was stung numerous times by what were later determined to be Africanized bees.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night