SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – State officials on Monday suspended the license of a pilot for five months after an oil tanker sideswiped the San Francisco-Oakland Bay Bridge.
Guy Kleess won’t be paid during the suspension ordered by the Board of Pilot Commissioners for the Bays of San Francisco, San Pablo, and Suisun.
The cargo ship Overseas Reymar clipped the bridge on Jan. 7, causing about $3 million in damage. The bridge never closed and remained open to traffic.
Kleess will have to undergo further training and 30 “observation trips” before his license is restored. He will also be on two years of probation after he regains his license.
“The board has imposed one of the most stringent disciplinary orders in decades,” board director Allen Garfinkle said.
It was the second time in six years that a large vessel controlled by a local pilot struck the bridge.
The cargo ship Cosco Busan operated by Capt. John Cota struck the bridge in November 2007, prompting a 53,000-gallon oil spill into San Francisco Bay. Cota was sentenced to 10 months in prison.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl