TULSA, Okla. (AP) – One of two brothers accused in the January shooting deaths of four women at a crime-plagued Tulsa apartment complex pleaded not guilty Friday to first-degree murder and armed robbery charges.
Special Judge Charles Hogshead entered the plea on behalf of 39-year-old Cedric Poore and set his preliminary hearing for April 2, the same day when his 32-year-old brother James Poore will appear in court. James Poore has also pleaded not guilty.
Cedric Poore appeared at Friday’s brief arraignment via closed-circuit television from the Tulsa jail.
The brothers have been held without bond since they were arrested last month in connection with the Jan. 7 killings of 23-year-old twins Rebeika Powell and Kayetie Melchor, 33-year-old Misty Nunley and 55-year-old Julie Jackson.
Both men have prior felony convictions for robbery, according to court records. Prosecutors have yet to decide whether they will seek the death penalty.
Cedric Poore’s defense attorney did not immediately return a message seeking comment Friday. James Poore’s attorney had no comment.
Police say the Poores were staying in the same apartment complex as their four victims, who were discovered bound and shot in the head. Authorities believe the brothers robbed the women, and then killed them because they feared they would be identified.
A 3-year-old boy was found unharmed in the apartment and was taken into protective custody.
The slayings, which investigators think happened during the day, brought attention to the troubled neighborhood and raised concerns about whether residents were afraid to call in crime tips. Police said there were two slayings at the complex last year, and crimes, such as break-ins and shootings, are common.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food