GLENDALE, Calif. (AP) – A bomb threat prompted the evacuation of hundreds of children from a Southern California elementary school Monday while police searched buildings to make sure the campus was safe.
An anonymous caller phoned the R.D. White Elementary School in Glendale at around 8:30 a.m. and said there was a bomb at the campus, police Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.
The school’s 880 students were evacuated to a supermarket parking lot about a block away and parents were allowed to take them home for the day, Lorenz said. No bomb was found and the all-clear was given around midday.
Klara Esposito, who lives a block from the campus, received a call from the school and came to pick up her two children, 10-year-old Tony and 7-year-old Daniel.
“I mean after Connecticut, it was just too scary,” she said, referring to last month’s massacre by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. “I just ran here like a maniac.”
“A few teachers told me it was all just a drill,” her son Tony said. “And I was thinking if it was just a drill, why were there so many policemen and firemen and helicopters? I’m really scared.”
Glendale is a foothill suburb of Los Angeles.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development