GLENDALE, Calif. (AP) – A bomb threat prompted the evacuation of hundreds of children from a Southern California elementary school Monday while police searched buildings to make sure the campus was safe.
An anonymous caller phoned the R.D. White Elementary School in Glendale at around 8:30 a.m. and said there was a bomb at the campus, police Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.
The school’s 880 students were evacuated to a supermarket parking lot about a block away and parents were allowed to take them home for the day, Lorenz said. No bomb was found and the all-clear was given around midday.
Klara Esposito, who lives a block from the campus, received a call from the school and came to pick up her two children, 10-year-old Tony and 7-year-old Daniel.
“I mean after Connecticut, it was just too scary,” she said, referring to last month’s massacre by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. “I just ran here like a maniac.”
“A few teachers told me it was all just a drill,” her son Tony said. “And I was thinking if it was just a drill, why were there so many policemen and firemen and helicopters? I’m really scared.”
Glendale is a foothill suburb of Los Angeles.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl