GLENDALE, Calif. (AP) – A bomb threat prompted the evacuation of hundreds of children from a Southern California elementary school Monday while police searched buildings to make sure the campus was safe.
An anonymous caller phoned the R.D. White Elementary School in Glendale at around 8:30 a.m. and said there was a bomb at the campus, police Sgt. Tom Lorenz said.
The school’s 880 students were evacuated to a supermarket parking lot about a block away and parents were allowed to take them home for the day, Lorenz said. No bomb was found and the all-clear was given around midday.
Klara Esposito, who lives a block from the campus, received a call from the school and came to pick up her two children, 10-year-old Tony and 7-year-old Daniel.
“I mean after Connecticut, it was just too scary,” she said, referring to last month’s massacre by a gunman at Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn. “I just ran here like a maniac.”
“A few teachers told me it was all just a drill,” her son Tony said. “And I was thinking if it was just a drill, why were there so many policemen and firemen and helicopters? I’m really scared.”
Glendale is a foothill suburb of Los Angeles.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Telecommuting: 5 tips to make it work for employers and employees
- See how top CFOs feel about economic growth in the Valley
- Migraine myths that keep patients from effective treatments
- Here’s why Gaydos went tankless with his water heater
- 12 things to watch before the Oscars
- Bocce ball and basketball: How you can help Arizona's Special Olympics athletes
- Tips on building the best wine room in Arizona
- Avoid the nightmare: 6 tips to choose a great contractor
- Breast cancer: Improved testing and treatments means more survivors
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night