CHELMSFORD, Mass. (AP) – Fire tore through a northeastern Massachusetts condominium building, killing a couple in their late 60s or early 70s and injuring four of their relatives, including a 7-year-old boy who suffered serious burns, the state’s fire marshal said Sunday.
The fire in Chelmsford began at about 11 p.m. Saturday. State Fire Marshal Stephen said he believes the fire started accidentally in the couple’s home on the top floor of the four-story building, one of several in the complex.
The victims’ names haven’t been released. Coan said the man who died used a wheelchair, which impeded efforts to get him out of the condo.
Fire officials said two adults and two children related to the couple were visiting them when the fire began. The boy was flown by helicopter to a Boston hospital to be treated for serious burns, while the others were taken to local hospitals. The boy’s condition wasn’t available Sunday.
Coan said firefighters rescued several other residents of the top floor from their balconies.
Michael Schwartz told The Lowell Sun that he and his wife were watching a movie in their bedroom when they heard a commotion, saw the fire trucks and smelled smoke.
“We couldn’t get out because the whole hallway was filled with smoke,” Schwartz said. “We had to be rescued over the balcony.”
Coan said the cause of the fire was being investigated.
It was the third fatal fire in Massachusetts since Friday. Accidental fires killed a 70-year-old man in Winchendon on Friday evening and a 15-year-old girl in Holyoke on Saturday, officials said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development