PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) – A federal judge has canceled the sentencing date of a Somali-American man convicted of plotting to bomb a 2010 Christmas tree-lighting ceremony in Portland’s town square.
The Oregonian reported (
http://is.gd/PhExU0) that U.S. District Judge Garr King canceled the date after the government’s admission last week that warrantless overseas wiretaps helped make its case against Mohamed Mohamud.
The court expects new motions to be filed based on the government’s notification, according to a notation in the court docket. “If sentencing remains appropriate, the court will reset the sentencing hearing after it rules on the anticipated motions,” the notation says.
Mohamud’s attorneys and federal prosecutors met in the judge’s chambers Tuesday.
Federal prosecutors disclosed last week that they offered evidence in court proceedings that was derived from warrantless surveillance of a foreign target outside the U.S. under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act of 1978.
FISA, as it is known, allows intelligence agencies to physically and electronically eavesdrop on U.S. citizens and legal residents suspected of acting as agents of foreign governments.
The law was amended in 2008 to allow the U.S. to electronically eavesdrop on foreign targets even when the surveillance happens to pick up the emails or phone calls of Americans, the newspaper said.
Mohamud had been scheduled to be sentenced Dec. 18 for attempting to detonate a weapon of mass destruction. He was arrested Nov. 26, 2010, after pressing a button on a cellphone that he believed would detonate a 1,800-pound diesel-and-fertilizer bomb near thousands of people at the annual holiday gathering.
The bomb was a fake supplied by undercover FBI agents posing as al-Qaida recruiters.
Information from: The Oregonian,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Peak your palate with gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again