NEW YORK (AP) – A new tally shows New York City has been working overtime on Superstorm Sandy recovery _ more than $150 million of it.
The city’s Independent Budget Office reported Friday city agencies have spent more than $154 million on overtime related to the late October storm, which left parts of the city underwater.
Police account for 46 percent of it. Sanitation workers make up about 35 percent.
Firefighters, parks workers, Department of Transportation staffers and others also clocked extra hours.
The total doesn’t include overtime at public hospitals, the mass transit system or public housing.
Mayor Michael Bloomberg has said the storm cost city agencies a total of $4.5 billion in losses, cleanup costs, overtime and other expenses. He has pegged costs at $19 billion when private losses and expenses are included.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food