CHARLESTON, S.C. (AP) – The Gullah-Geechee culture of slave descendants is being honored this month with a float in the presidential inaugural parade.
It’s the first time a Gullah float will appear and it’s expected to bring new attention to the culture that has seen a big change in public perception. As recently as 20 years ago, many who grew up in the culture often tried to hide their roots.
But Ron Daise, the chairman of the Gullah Geechee Cultural Heritage Corridor Commission, says now Gullah folk no longer have to be ashamed of their culture, language and history.
The culture, known as Gullah in the Carolinas and Geechee in Georgia and Florida, has its own creole language. The float will include aspects of the culture including sweetgrass baskets and shrimp nets.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets