BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (AP) – The Hearst Connecticut Media Group apologized Thursday because one of its newspapers ran an ad for an antique gun show next to an article about the Newtown school shooting.
A statement released by Group Publisher Paul Farrell said the ad’s placement in The Advocate of Stamford was the result of an oversight.
“Our newspapers should not be running gun ads _ including ads for antique and collectible gun shows _ next to stories about Sandy Hook. It’s insensitive, and it shouldn’t have happened,” the group said in the statement referring to the Dec. 14 massacre at Sandy Hook Elementary School. “We have taken steps to make sure it doesn’t happen again.”
The ad for the East Coast Fine Arms Show appeared Thursday beside an article about students at the school. The promoter for the gun show, which is scheduled to begin Saturday in Stamford, did not immediately return a message seeking comment.
The gunman, Adam Lanza, killed 20 first-graders and six adult staff members at Sandy Hook. He also killed his mother on the morning of the rampage and committed suicide as police arrived. Police have not offered a possible motive.
Adam’s father, Peter Lanza, lives in Stamford. He issued a statement the day after the shooting expressing sympathy for the victims’ families and saying the family was trying to make sense of what happened.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona