DETROIT (AP) – General Motors’ U.S. sales rose 3.7 percent last year as the company’s growth was eclipsed by other automakers.
GM sold just under 2.6 million new cars and trucks in 2012. Its December sales rose almost 5 percent from a year earlier.
The company’s sales growth for the year lagged the U.S. auto industry, which was expected to grow 13 percent from 2011 numbers.
Other automakers reported strong sales for the year. Chrysler sales jumped 21 percent, while Volkswagen was up 35 percent.
GM was led by the Chevrolet Sonic small car, with sales up more than five times the number sold in 2011.
But sales of the Chevy Silverado pickup, GM’s top-selling vehicle, rose less than 1 percent for the year.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Best and worst of Super Bowl commercials
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof