KAILUA, Hawaii (AP) – How President Barack Obama spent the fifth day of his holiday vacation in Hawaii on Wednesday:
_ QUIET CHRISTMAS MORNING: The Obamas spent most of Christmas Day in their vacation home in Kailua, a suburb of Honolulu on the eastern side of Oahu. The first family spent the morning singing Christmas carols and opening gifts.
_ RADIO ADDRESS: Obama and first lady Michelle Obama said in a recorded message released Wednesday that they draw lessons from the birth and life of Jesus.
The president urged Americans to carry forward those lessons by volunteering at a soup kitchen, buying gifts for kids in need or organizing food and clothing drives.
“For all of us as Americans, regardless of our faith, those are values that can drive us to be better parents and friends, better neighbors and better citizens,” he said.
_ GREETING TROOPS: Obama visited with several hundred U.S. troops and their families celebrating Christmas at Marine Corps Base Hawaii.
“Thank you for the unbelievable work that you guys do every single day. We could not be prouder of you,” Obama said.
He said he earlier called troops stationed in Afghanistan, Bahrain and elsewhere.
“It was just a sampling of the incredible sacrifice that you and your families make every single day,” Obama said.
He took photos with each of the service members.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development