KAILUA, Hawaii (AP) – How President Barack Obama spent the fifth day of his holiday vacation in Hawaii on Wednesday:
_ QUIET CHRISTMAS MORNING: The Obamas spent most of Christmas Day in their vacation home in Kailua, a suburb of Honolulu on the eastern side of Oahu. The first family spent the morning singing Christmas carols and opening gifts.
_ RADIO ADDRESS: Obama and first lady Michelle Obama said in a recorded message released Wednesday that they draw lessons from the birth and life of Jesus.
The president urged Americans to carry forward those lessons by volunteering at a soup kitchen, buying gifts for kids in need or organizing food and clothing drives.
“For all of us as Americans, regardless of our faith, those are values that can drive us to be better parents and friends, better neighbors and better citizens,” he said.
_ GREETING TROOPS: Obama visited with several hundred U.S. troops and their families celebrating Christmas at Marine Corps Base Hawaii.
“Thank you for the unbelievable work that you guys do every single day. We could not be prouder of you,” Obama said.
He said he earlier called troops stationed in Afghanistan, Bahrain and elsewhere.
“It was just a sampling of the incredible sacrifice that you and your families make every single day,” Obama said.
He took photos with each of the service members.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona