SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – San Francisco authorities arrested a convicted felon and gang member on suspicion of causing a New Year’s Day crash that killed two people and injured a third, officials said Wednesday.
David Morales, 19, of San Francisco, had just shot at three people from his car and was fleeing police when he slammed into a Toyota sedan, which spun out of control and struck a pedestrian Tuesday morning, police spokesman Gordon Shyy said.
The pedestrian, 26-year-old Francisco Gutierrez of San Francisco, was killed, as was the Toyota’s 29-year-old female passenger, the San Francisco Chronicle reported (
The condition of the Toyota’s driver was upgraded from critical to serious Wednesday, officials said.
Morales was booked into San Francisco County jail on two counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder, one count of evading a peace officer, and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm with a gang enhancement charge, Shyy said.
Shyy didn’t know if Morales had an attorney.
“By choosing to flee and ultimately killing two people, we have reason to believe there’s enough for a murder charge,” Shyy told the Chronicle.
The incident began around 7:45 a.m. Tuesday when Morales drove to a housing development in the city’s Mission District and fired at three people who were walking, officials said. None of the pedestrians were struck.
When police tried to pull him over, Morales sped off and then crashed into the Toyota, officials said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy