SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – San Francisco authorities arrested a convicted felon and gang member on suspicion of causing a New Year’s Day crash that killed two people and injured a third, officials said Wednesday.
David Morales, 19, of San Francisco, had just shot at three people from his car and was fleeing police when he slammed into a Toyota sedan, which spun out of control and struck a pedestrian Tuesday morning, police spokesman Gordon Shyy said.
The pedestrian, 26-year-old Francisco Gutierrez of San Francisco, was killed, as was the Toyota’s 29-year-old female passenger, the San Francisco Chronicle reported (
The condition of the Toyota’s driver was upgraded from critical to serious Wednesday, officials said.
Morales was booked into San Francisco County jail on two counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder, one count of evading a peace officer, and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm with a gang enhancement charge, Shyy said.
Shyy didn’t know if Morales had an attorney.
“By choosing to flee and ultimately killing two people, we have reason to believe there’s enough for a murder charge,” Shyy told the Chronicle.
The incident began around 7:45 a.m. Tuesday when Morales drove to a housing development in the city’s Mission District and fired at three people who were walking, officials said. None of the pedestrians were struck.
When police tried to pull him over, Morales sped off and then crashed into the Toyota, officials said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development