SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – San Francisco authorities arrested a convicted felon and gang member on suspicion of causing a New Year’s Day crash that killed two people and injured a third, officials said Wednesday.
David Morales, 19, of San Francisco, had just shot at three people from his car and was fleeing police when he slammed into a Toyota sedan, which spun out of control and struck a pedestrian Tuesday morning, police spokesman Gordon Shyy said.
The pedestrian, 26-year-old Francisco Gutierrez of San Francisco, was killed, as was the Toyota’s 29-year-old female passenger, the San Francisco Chronicle reported (
The condition of the Toyota’s driver was upgraded from critical to serious Wednesday, officials said.
Morales was booked into San Francisco County jail on two counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder, one count of evading a peace officer, and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm with a gang enhancement charge, Shyy said.
Shyy didn’t know if Morales had an attorney.
“By choosing to flee and ultimately killing two people, we have reason to believe there’s enough for a murder charge,” Shyy told the Chronicle.
The incident began around 7:45 a.m. Tuesday when Morales drove to a housing development in the city’s Mission District and fired at three people who were walking, officials said. None of the pedestrians were struck.
When police tried to pull him over, Morales sped off and then crashed into the Toyota, officials said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.