SAN FRANCISCO (AP) – San Francisco authorities arrested a convicted felon and gang member on suspicion of causing a New Year’s Day crash that killed two people and injured a third, officials said Wednesday.
David Morales, 19, of San Francisco, had just shot at three people from his car and was fleeing police when he slammed into a Toyota sedan, which spun out of control and struck a pedestrian Tuesday morning, police spokesman Gordon Shyy said.
The pedestrian, 26-year-old Francisco Gutierrez of San Francisco, was killed, as was the Toyota’s 29-year-old female passenger, the San Francisco Chronicle reported (
The condition of the Toyota’s driver was upgraded from critical to serious Wednesday, officials said.
Morales was booked into San Francisco County jail on two counts of murder, three counts of attempted murder, one count of evading a peace officer, and one count of being a felon in possession of a firearm with a gang enhancement charge, Shyy said.
Shyy didn’t know if Morales had an attorney.
“By choosing to flee and ultimately killing two people, we have reason to believe there’s enough for a murder charge,” Shyy told the Chronicle.
The incident began around 7:45 a.m. Tuesday when Morales drove to a housing development in the city’s Mission District and fired at three people who were walking, officials said. None of the pedestrians were struck.
When police tried to pull him over, Morales sped off and then crashed into the Toyota, officials said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever