SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – A suspect is under arrest in connection with a New Year’s Eve shooting at a bar in the Old Sacramento area that killed two people, police said Tuesday.
The 22-year-old was among three people wounded Monday evening after a shooting that occurred as people gathered to watch fireworks to celebrate the New Year, authorities said.
The suspect’s injuries and those to a security guard and a 30-year-old woman are not life threatening.
Police say it started as an argument inside the bar at about 9:38 p.m. that escalated and became a physical confrontation. When an employee tried to break up the fight, he was shot, as were the woman and another man.
That man, 35, and the employee, who was in his 20s, died at the scene after suffering multiple gunshot wounds.
Authorities say an armed guard near a side door at the bar heard the gunshots and got into a gunfight with the suspect and both were wounded.
The armed suspect ran out of the bar toward a street crowded with holiday revelers but was caught quickly by officers chasing him, police said.
Police are not identifying the suspect because of the ongoing investigation.
Afterward, police canceled the midnight fireworks show that was expected to draw as many as 40,000 people.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise