SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) – A suspect is under arrest in connection with a New Year’s Eve shooting at a bar in the Old Sacramento area that killed two people, police said Tuesday.
The 22-year-old was among three people wounded Monday evening after a shooting that occurred as people gathered to watch fireworks to celebrate the New Year, authorities said.
The suspect’s injuries and those to a security guard and a 30-year-old woman are not life threatening.
Police say it started as an argument inside the bar at about 9:38 p.m. that escalated and became a physical confrontation. When an employee tried to break up the fight, he was shot, as were the woman and another man.
That man, 35, and the employee, who was in his 20s, died at the scene after suffering multiple gunshot wounds.
Authorities say an armed guard near a side door at the bar heard the gunshots and got into a gunfight with the suspect and both were wounded.
The armed suspect ran out of the bar toward a street crowded with holiday revelers but was caught quickly by officers chasing him, police said.
Police are not identifying the suspect because of the ongoing investigation.
Afterward, police canceled the midnight fireworks show that was expected to draw as many as 40,000 people.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon