SAUSALITO, Calif. (AP) – A man and boy fishing near the Golden Gate Bridge died on Friday after being swept into the ocean by large waves, authorities said.
The unidentified pair and a third fisherman were pulled into the frigid waters on Friday just before 5 p.m., Southern Marin fire Battalion Chief Matt Barnes said.
They were on a rocky coastline just northwest of the bridge in the Marin Headlands, which is exposed to large swells rolling in from the Pacific.
“It’s not an ideal place to fish, it’s real rocky there,” Barnes said.
After getting thrashed by the waves, the third man managed to make it back to shore and flag down bystanders, who called 911.
Barnes did not know the relationship of the men, and said there was a language barrier which prevented an immediate interview of the survivor.
The man and boy were plucked from the water about 100 yards offshore by a Tiburon Fire Department boat, with a Coast Guard helicopter assisting.
The area is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
The Marin County Coroner’s Office is investigating the deaths, and did not return a call Friday night.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips