SAUSALITO, Calif. (AP) – A man and boy fishing near the Golden Gate Bridge died on Friday after being swept into the ocean by large waves, authorities said.
The unidentified pair and a third fisherman were pulled into the frigid waters on Friday just before 5 p.m., Southern Marin fire Battalion Chief Matt Barnes said.
They were on a rocky coastline just northwest of the bridge in the Marin Headlands, which is exposed to large swells rolling in from the Pacific.
“It’s not an ideal place to fish, it’s real rocky there,” Barnes said.
After getting thrashed by the waves, the third man managed to make it back to shore and flag down bystanders, who called 911.
Barnes did not know the relationship of the men, and said there was a language barrier which prevented an immediate interview of the survivor.
The man and boy were plucked from the water about 100 yards offshore by a Tiburon Fire Department boat, with a Coast Guard helicopter assisting.
The area is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
The Marin County Coroner’s Office is investigating the deaths, and did not return a call Friday night.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.