SAUSALITO, Calif. (AP) – A man and boy fishing near the Golden Gate Bridge died on Friday after being swept into the ocean by large waves, authorities said.
The unidentified pair and a third fisherman were pulled into the frigid waters on Friday just before 5 p.m., Southern Marin fire Battalion Chief Matt Barnes said.
They were on a rocky coastline just northwest of the bridge in the Marin Headlands, which is exposed to large swells rolling in from the Pacific.
“It’s not an ideal place to fish, it’s real rocky there,” Barnes said.
After getting thrashed by the waves, the third man managed to make it back to shore and flag down bystanders, who called 911.
Barnes did not know the relationship of the men, and said there was a language barrier which prevented an immediate interview of the survivor.
The man and boy were plucked from the water about 100 yards offshore by a Tiburon Fire Department boat, with a Coast Guard helicopter assisting.
The area is part of the Golden Gate National Recreation Area.
The Marin County Coroner’s Office is investigating the deaths, and did not return a call Friday night.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Failed back surgery: New hope for patients living in pain
- Ticking time bombs: Telltale signs your water heater is about to explode
- Reading glasses could be a thing of the past
- 6 cool ways teachers are using technology in the classroom
- Emerging tech jobs in Phoenix and how to get one in 2017
- 4 top treatments athletes use for pain
- Emergency! What to do when bathrooms flood
- Operation Santa Claus needs holiday help
- This college bowl season is likely to be epic
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona