UNITED NATIONS (AP) – The director of U.N. humanitarian operations says crises driven by drought, floods and conflicts are escalating every year and there isn’t enough money to help more than 50 million people from Syria to Africa’s parched Sahel region that need help.
John Ging said that for thousands of needy people the result is more suffering, worsening malnutrition and loss of life.
“The needs are outstripping the means,” he said in a year-end interview late last week. “There’s a global financial crisis and this is just an equation that doesn’t work. We have to find solutions.”
The U.N. has launched its biggest-ever appeal _ for $8.5 billion to help 51 million people in 16 countries in 2013.
In addition, it has launched a separate appeal for $1.5 billion for Syria.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development