NEW YORK (AP) – Tests show a 60-foot beached whale that died in a costal enclave of New York City was malnourished but wasn’t injured or killed by humans.
The whale is part of an endangered species known as finback or fin whales. It was severely emaciated but clinging to life when it was discovered Wednesday stranded at Breezy Point, a Queens community hit hard by Superstorm Sandy.
Volunteer firefighters sprayed water on the whale as it sat halfway out of the Jamaica Bay water. The whale drifted out of sight at high tide and came ashore dead Thursday.
Marine officials said Friday the whale was malnourished and had lesions in its stomach and kidneys. The cause of its death won’t be determined until testing comes back on tissue samples.
The whale is being buried.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck