WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) – The upstate New York firefighters wounded by a gunman as they responded to a blaze are on the mend and thankful for the outpouring of support.
Joseph Hofstetter and Theodore Scardino said in a statement released by Strong Memorial Hospital that they are “humbled and overwhelmed.”
Police say William Spengler Jr. set his house ablaze Monday and then opened fire on responders, killing two. Spengler then killed himself. Seven houses burned down.
Hofstetter was hit in the pelvis and Scardino was hit in the shoulder and knee. Surgeon Nicole Stassen says they’re doing well and were being upgraded to satisfactory condition Wednesday.
The firefighters ask that acts of kindness be directed to others, including those who lost homes in the blaze.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development