ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) – A federal judge has refused to dismiss the charges against a woman accused of providing guns to the man who fatally shot two firefighters and wounded two others on Christmas Eve.
Dawn Nguyen, of the town of Greece, was in court in Rochester on Wednesday for a hearing on her lawyer’s pretrial motions, the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester reported.
Prosecutors said Nguyen and William Spengler Jr. were neighbors in Webster when she bought a semi-automatic rifle and 12-gauge shotgun for Spengler, who was prohibited from buying or owning guns because he was a convicted felon.
Nguyen has pleaded not guilty to the charges she was a “straw buyer” who lied when she signed paperwork saying the weapons were for her.
Police said Spengler used the guns to kill firefighters Michael Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka, and wound Joseph Hofstetter and Ted Scardino early on the morning of Dec. 24. Spengler killed himself during a shootout with police. Spengler lured the firefighters into an ambush by setting fire to his house, where investigators later found remains they believe are those of his sister, 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler.
Scardino was in court for Wednesday’s hearing along with several other members of the West Webster Fire Department, the newspaper reported.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Marian Payson allowed the case to continue and reserved judgment on defense motions challenging a search warrant for her phone records and a charge she was an unlawful user of marijuana.
A hearing is scheduled for Sept. 4 on whether statements Nguyen made to authorities on the day of the attack will be allowed as evidence.
Information from: Rochester Democrat and Chronicle,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food