ROCHESTER, N.Y. (AP) – A federal judge has refused to dismiss the charges against a woman accused of providing guns to the man who fatally shot two firefighters and wounded two others on Christmas Eve.
Dawn Nguyen, of the town of Greece, was in court in Rochester on Wednesday for a hearing on her lawyer’s pretrial motions, the Democrat and Chronicle of Rochester reported.
Prosecutors said Nguyen and William Spengler Jr. were neighbors in Webster when she bought a semi-automatic rifle and 12-gauge shotgun for Spengler, who was prohibited from buying or owning guns because he was a convicted felon.
Nguyen has pleaded not guilty to the charges she was a “straw buyer” who lied when she signed paperwork saying the weapons were for her.
Police said Spengler used the guns to kill firefighters Michael Chiapperini and Tomasz Kaczowka, and wound Joseph Hofstetter and Ted Scardino early on the morning of Dec. 24. Spengler killed himself during a shootout with police. Spengler lured the firefighters into an ambush by setting fire to his house, where investigators later found remains they believe are those of his sister, 67-year-old sister, Cheryl Spengler.
Scardino was in court for Wednesday’s hearing along with several other members of the West Webster Fire Department, the newspaper reported.
U.S. Magistrate Judge Marian Payson allowed the case to continue and reserved judgment on defense motions challenging a search warrant for her phone records and a charge she was an unlawful user of marijuana.
A hearing is scheduled for Sept. 4 on whether statements Nguyen made to authorities on the day of the attack will be allowed as evidence.
Information from: Rochester Democrat and Chronicle,
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- A preseason guide to avoid holiday weight gain
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns