WEBSTER, N.Y. (AP) – A friend of a gunman who lured firefighters to a fatal ambush in upstate New York says he didn’t seem violent but hated the sister who lived with him.
Roger Vercruysse (vehr-KREW’-see) says William Spengler was a good friend when they lived next door in Webster, a Rochester suburb.
Spengler set fire to a car and his house Friday and shot at responding firefighters. Two died, and two were injured. Spengler committed suicide.
Vercruysse says Spengler “loved his mama to death.” Arline Spengler died in October, and Vercruysse wonders what effect that had on her 62-year-old son. He says he thinks William Spengler “went crazy” after she died.
Police say they don’t have a motive for the killings on the shore of Lake Ontario.
Vercruysse says Spengler “couldn’t stand” his sister, Cheryl Spengler, who’s unaccounted for.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Water tips to save money, help save the Earth
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon
- What you need to know about Alzheimer's disease in Arizona
- Spring clean your windows like a pro with these 8 tips
- 7 films that should have won best-picture Oscars
- New plumbing technology saves money and improves your home
- Survey shows Arizona CFOs optimistic about 2016
- How chronic pain can affect your love life
- 5 potential warning signs about your child's development