OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) – Students at a Northern California middle school are looking at double the trouble if they misbehave.
Two 36-year-old educators who are identical twins are sharing the job of principal at an Oakland’s Claremont Middle School this year. And parents and staff say the novel arrangement involving Ronald and Reginald Richardson has been good for the public school and its 410 students, the San Francisco Chronicle reports (
“There’s a huge difference in the school culture,” said Paul Kagiwada, father of a seventh-grader at Claremont, told the newspaper. “It’s cleaner, nicer, quieter. There’s an expectation of respect at all levels.”
The Richardson brothers have followed the same academic and career paths all their lives. They were principals at neighboring elementary schools in Richmond before they were hired to work in Oakland last summer.
Before that, they both attended San Francisco State University on track and field scholarships, earned teaching credentials, and then master’s degrees in education from UC Berkeley. Their grandmother also was a principal in Oakland and their mother taught school in the city.
“We both have this passion for leading,” Reginald Richardson said. “Teaching was a natural fit for us. Fortunately, me and my brother had identical goals.”
Although hardly anyone at school can tell them apart, the co-principals prefer leading by example over taking advantage of the situation to try to catch students telling fibs or breaking the rules.
“The students see us together, working well and respecting each other, and hopefully it sets a standard for the whole school,” Ronald Richardson said.
Information from: San Francisco Chronicle,
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon