PORTLAND, Ore. (AP) – Rescue teams have found 3 snowshoers who got lost on a weekend camping trip near Mount Hood.
The trio was reported in good health, having made it through two nights under the leadership of a mountaineer.
The three set out Saturday on snowshoes and called 911 on Sunday to report they were lost. Although the cellphone connection was sketchy, they said they had food and sleeping bags, said Detective Matt English of the Hood River County sheriff’s office.
There was no contact after that until searchers found them Monday.
The Oregonian (
http://bit.ly/UY5kzr) identified them as Mark Kelsey, 62, a veteran mountain guide and outdoor survival instructor, Margarita Estrada, 49, and Debra Shindler, 58.
Estrada’s son, Andy Ozeroff, 18, told the paper, he started contacting families of the other hikers when they didn’t return Sunday afternoon as planned. The trio was celebrating Estrada’s birthday.
When family members reported the party overdue, they learned the hikers had already called for help.
“We definitely would have been more concerned if the women weren’t in the hands of my dad,” said Alex Kelsey, 18.
Kelsey is a veteran mountaineer, associates said.
“He continues to guide and teach survival techniques,” said Rocky Henderson, team leader with Portland Mountain Rescue. “He is of the utmost competence.”
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever
- Gameday recipes and beers to match
- 6 reasons the Cardinals are driven to win the Super Bowl
- The Pac-12 football season nears kickoff
- Tips to get ready for a pain-free golf season
- Protect your family with these 7 home security features
- How to train like an Olympic swimmer
- 2016 Olympics: A guide to must-see TV events
- The bride's guide to feeling your best on your wedding day
- Deciding when you need knee surgery
- Celebrating Fourth of July is much cooler in these AZ towns
- Top ten road trip bathrooms in America
- Six things causing a pain in your neck
- 5 things to make your summer move easier
- Three elements of a strong timeshare exit guarantee
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas