(AP) – A sample of deaths by gunfire this year of children age 12 and under based on an Associated Press review of media reports:
Jan. 23 _ Jaymee M. Steward, 7, is accidentally shot in the head while he and his brothers, ages 4 and 13, play in a bedroom of the family home in Morristown, Tenn., with a .22-caliber gun they mistake for a toy. Jaymee dies three days later.
Feb. 20 _ Delric Miller, 9 months, is struck by gunfire when an attacker sprays the Detroit home he is in with an AK-47. Authorities say the gunfire is gang-related.
March 10 _ Jenna Carlile, 7, is shot while in the family van with her 3-year-old brother, who grabbed the .38-caliber revolver left in the car by their father, a police officer off duty at the time. The children were left alone in the van in Stanwood, Wash. Jenna dies the next day.
March 18 _ Aliyah Shell, 6, is struck in the stomach by gunfire outside her Chicago home when a shooter opens fire from a pickup. She dies that evening.
June 2 _ Matthew Butwin, 7, is found with his parents and two teenage siblings in the Arizona desert in an SUV. Their bodies are burned but officials later confirm the children and mother were shot by their father, who then killed himself.
June 4 _ Angel Mauro Cortez Nava, 14 months, is shot by a teenager who rides by on a bicycle and opens fire on the boy’s father, who is standing on a sidewalk and cradling the infant near his Los Angeles home.
Aug. 5 _ Mikhese Hood, 12, is accidentally shot in the neck by his 16-year-old brother when the gun the teen was trying to uncock went off at their Birmingham, Ala., home.
Oct. 20 _ A 4-year-old boy is killed by a neighbor who sprays bullets at the boy’s family’s home in Inglewood, Calif. The boy’s father is also shot while shielding his son and two other young children, who survived. The neighbor then kills himself. The boy’s name is not released.
Dec. 15 _ Aydan Perea, 4, is shot when two men stop behind the car he is sitting in with two other men in Kansas City, Mo., and open fire. Police say Aydan is the victim of a gang dispute.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Stretches and exercises for carpal tunnel syndrome
- The best Major League ballparks have their own personality
- Comparing the best regular seasons: The '96 Bulls and '16 Warriors
- 3 Arizona road trips and the vehicles to get you there
- Colon cancer is preventable. Check these signs and symptoms to stay healthy.
- 6 of the biggest skin cancer myths
- Affordable small home makeover ideas
- Locals helping locals: 6 success stories you need to know about
- Sunscreen facts that could save your life
- 6 energy saving hacks for your home
- 5 tips for choosing a company to end your timeshare
- Overlooked water tips to save you money
- 5 of the most adored gentlemen in professional sports today
- The real danger of sitting at your desk
- Most surprising NBA playoff performances of the last 40 years
- 11 classic baseball movies you must see again
- Finally getting rid of fat: 3 methods that actually work
- 4 reasons cancer survivors should focus on food
- 5 spring cleaning spots everyone forgets
- 5 reasons to look forward to watching the D-backs this season
- Common virus attributed to spike in head and neck cancers
- 5 signs it’s time to end your timeshare ownership
- 3 most overlooked ways to keep your home healthy
- 6 ways the air in your home could be making you sick
- CrossFit dangers: 5 common injuries and how to deal with them
- Today's radiation treatments offer better success, fewer side effects
- Tips to make watching TV on the patio even better
- What really happens when you donate to a community college?
- Sun and skin cancer: Separating fact from fiction
- 5 critical lifestyle changes for a healthy colon