(AP) – A sample of deaths by gunfire this year of children age 12 and under based on an Associated Press review of media reports:
Jan. 23 _ Jaymee M. Steward, 7, is accidentally shot in the head while he and his brothers, ages 4 and 13, play in a bedroom of the family home in Morristown, Tenn., with a .22-caliber gun they mistake for a toy. Jaymee dies three days later.
Feb. 20 _ Delric Miller, 9 months, is struck by gunfire when an attacker sprays the Detroit home he is in with an AK-47. Authorities say the gunfire is gang-related.
March 10 _ Jenna Carlile, 7, is shot while in the family van with her 3-year-old brother, who grabbed the .38-caliber revolver left in the car by their father, a police officer off duty at the time. The children were left alone in the van in Stanwood, Wash. Jenna dies the next day.
March 18 _ Aliyah Shell, 6, is struck in the stomach by gunfire outside her Chicago home when a shooter opens fire from a pickup. She dies that evening.
June 2 _ Matthew Butwin, 7, is found with his parents and two teenage siblings in the Arizona desert in an SUV. Their bodies are burned but officials later confirm the children and mother were shot by their father, who then killed himself.
June 4 _ Angel Mauro Cortez Nava, 14 months, is shot by a teenager who rides by on a bicycle and opens fire on the boy’s father, who is standing on a sidewalk and cradling the infant near his Los Angeles home.
Aug. 5 _ Mikhese Hood, 12, is accidentally shot in the neck by his 16-year-old brother when the gun the teen was trying to uncock went off at their Birmingham, Ala., home.
Oct. 20 _ A 4-year-old boy is killed by a neighbor who sprays bullets at the boy’s family’s home in Inglewood, Calif. The boy’s father is also shot while shielding his son and two other young children, who survived. The neighbor then kills himself. The boy’s name is not released.
Dec. 15 _ Aydan Perea, 4, is shot when two men stop behind the car he is sitting in with two other men in Kansas City, Mo., and open fire. Police say Aydan is the victim of a gang dispute.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
- Arizona kids in crisis: How you can help
- 11 holiday classics for the ultimate movie marathon
- 2016 college football rivalry games you simply can't miss
- New treatment offers hope for migraine sufferers
- 11 stadiums to watch your favorite football team
- Shopping for a TV? Best models for 2016
- The new beer pairing guide for holiday foods
- Avoid this holiday plumbing disaster in your home
- 7 tips to avoid holiday weight gain
- New treatments mean better prostate cancer survival rates
- 5 of the scariest things found in drains
- 6 tips to create the best family movie night
- New bone marrow procedure holds promise for healing pain
- The best places to celebrate Fall in Phoenix
- Infamous athletes who did the most time for their crimes
- Diet, exercise and aspirin: 3 tools to fight colon cancer
- 2016 baseball highlights, bloopers and blunders
- See how CFOs really feel about business in the Valley
- The best television shows on the internet
- The 5 worst things you could do for your roof
- 6 coolest things brewing in Arizona
- The virus that keeps head and neck cancers on the rise
- State Fair ‘Kid Reporter’ has all the angles covered
- 4 important things to know about timeshare maintenance fees
- Signs of delayed car crash injuries
- The truth about sports concussions
- The Alzheimer's epidemic: Facts you need to know
- The season is here, keep your Fantasy Football team strong all season
- 8 TV shows you can't miss this fall
- Football is here: 6 tips to make this your best season ever